If you don’t have a lot of time but would still like to enjoy some green in your life, creating an easy care backyard is the perfect option for you. Fill your spaces with grasses and greenery, and mulch for a low maintenance garden that looks good with little attention.
A combination of the right products and plants will help you achieve a gorgeous looking easy care garden. Look for plants that are hardy, thrive with less water and require minimal attention to thrive. Grasses and evergreen shrubs are popular options.
Great easy care plant options:
- Carex Buchananii (Leatherleaf Sedge)
- Carex Comans bronze
- Carex secta
- Carex Testacea
- Carex Virgata
- Festuca Banks Peninsula Blue
- Uncinia red
Dig in organic matter like Tui Sheep Pellets and compost to the soil before planting. Then add a layer of Tui Garden Mix. Mix Tui Garden Mix into the soil of the planting area, following the instructions on the pack. Debco SaturAid granular soil wetter promotes even water distribution, making watering, rainfall and fertilisers more effective. This will help your plants make the most of water, reducing the amount of watering required.
The best times to plant are early in the morning or late in the day, so the plants aren’t exposed to the hot sun straight away.
- Soak plants in a bucket of Seaweed Plant Tonic before planting to help prevent transplant shock and encourage healthy growth.
- Dig a hole approximately twice the depth and width of the root ball of your plant and partly fill with Tui Garden Mix. This has all of the essential nutrients your easy care plants need to get off to the best start.
- Place the plant in the hole, and fill in with Tui Garden Mix, ensuring the tree is no deeper than it was in the container or bag.
- Water your plants after planting.
- Apply a layer of Tui Mulch & Feed approximately 50mm deep around your plants to conserve moisture, protect plants from extremes in temperatures and to help stop weeds.
Feed your plants and they will reward you with beautiful greenery. Use Tui NovaTec Premium fertiliser – it feeds for up to for up to four months for strong, healthy plants. Well watered, well nourished plants will have a better chance of keeping insect pests and diseases at bay.