Tui Organic Compost, the natural
Spring is a busy time in the garden, the days are getting longer, the soil is warming up and it’s a perfect time for planting!
Soil is the backbone of your garden, so give it some TLC in preparation for all those delicious spring veggie crops. The better the soil the better the crops so dig in loads of Tui Organic Compost, add a generous helping of Tui Super Sheep Pellets, and Blood & Bone.
In the vegetable garden:
Popular crops for planting in spring include:
Crops to plant later in spring when it’s really warming up and there is no longer the threat of late frosts include:
For a more detailed list, view the planting calendar.
Spring is a fantastic time to grow plants from seed:
- Choose a seed raising mix that is light and free draining and has a starter fertiliser and fungicide to protect seeds and help germination.
- Check the seed packets for specific instructions as some seeds are better sown straight into the garden like peas, beans and carrots.
In the fruit garden:
- Citrus trees and sub-tropical’s like tamarillo and passion fruit are ideal to plant in spring.
- It is also time to be feeding existing citrus with specially formulated Tui Citrus Food to make sure you get a bumper crop of Fruit.
- Now is the time to get your strawberry plants in the ground if you haven’t already.
- 3 - 4 plants per member of the house should supply sufficient berries for everyone to enjoy.
- Watch the Tui Time Strawberry Growing Guide and Citrus Growing Guide for more information.
In the flower garden:
Garden centres will be full of affordable potted colour so it is a great opportunity to brighten up your garden borders, pots and hanging baskets with some instant colour.
- Plant potted colour into Tui Flower Power for the brightest blooms and long lasting floral displays.
- Remember to keep dead-heading flowers to prolong flowering.
- Feed roses with Novatec and apply a layer of Mulch & Feed to protect their roots as the temperatures begin to warm.
- Spring is also the perfect time for sowing seeds for bedding plants like Alyssum, Begonia, Chrysanthemum, Cosmos, Dianthus, Geranium, Gerbera, Marigold, Petunia, Impatiens, and Sweet Pea, to name a few!
General tasks over spring:
- Add organic matter back to your soil: use Tui Organic Compost, Tui Super Sheep Pellets and Blood & Bone.
- Sprinkle Tui Quash Slug & Snail Stoppa throughout your garden to protect vulnerable new seedlings.
- Feed your emerging spring bulbs with Tui Bulb Food when first flower buds appear.
- If your lawn needs a revamp or you’re thinking of sowing a new one watch the Tui Time How To guide on growing a lush lawn.