Makes one 23cm round cake
This cake is perfect for dessert and is sure to impress! The pears can be beautifully displayed on the top of the cake, while the feijoa and ginger provide great flavour. Try it for dessert with Greek-style yoghurt or cream.
- 410g can Wattie’s Pear Quarters in Clear Fruit Juice or fresh homegrown pears if you have them!
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp Gregg's Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Gregg's Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Gregg's Mixed Spice
- 185g butter
- ½ cup golden syrup
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup peeled and finely chopped feijoas
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45-50 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan bake). Grease a springform 23cm round cake tin and line the base with baking paper. Drain the Wattie’s Pear Quarters, cut each quarter in half lengthwise and place on kitchen towels to absorb any excess juice.
- In a large mixing bowl sift flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and mixed spice.
- Melt the butter and golden syrup together in a saucepan over a low heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Add milk and eggs along with the melted butter and syrup and chopped feijoas to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Spoon mixture into the prepared cake tin. Arrange the pear slices on top of the cake batter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake. Allow the cake to cool in the tin before removing. Serve with Greek yoghurt or cream if wished.