In autumn many of you will be enjoying capsicums fresh from your garden - they tend to take a bit longer than other crops! If you've also got a bumper crop of courgettes from summer, turn both harvests into this delicious relish from Food in a Minute. Simply add to your favourite burgers, sandwiches or cold meat.
- 1.5kg courgettes, grated or chopped
- 4 red capsicums, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups malt vinegar
- 1 tsp Gregg's Ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Gregg's Ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp Gregg's Yellow Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp celery seeds
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp cornflour
- 3 Tbsp extra malt vinegar
Makes: 7-8 x 250ml jars
Prep time: 20 minutes plus refrigeration for 4 hours or overnight
Cook time: 35 minutes
- Place prepared vegetables in a large bowl. Sprinkle over salt. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Rinse vegetables in cold water and drain through a colander or sieve. Transfer to a large saucepan or preserving pan. Add sugar, malt vinegar, Gregg’s Ground Nutmeg, Gregg’s Turmeric, Gregg’s Mustard Seeds, celery seeds and salt. Stir while bringing to the boil. Continue cooking for 30 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Mix cornflour with extra malt vinegar and stir into the hot relish. Continue cooking and stirring for a further 5 minutes.
- Pour into sterilised jars. Screw on lids to seal. Leave for a few days before eating to allow flavours to develop.
- Once opened store in the refrigerator.