Pride of Place - Create a Potted Plant Oasis
Easy, eye-catching and fun, container plants filled with luscious green foliage, vibrant beautiful blooms or flavoursome fruit are a great way to extend your garden both outdoors and indoors. Follow our guide to inject some green into your living spaces this season.
3 Steps to A Potted Plant Oasis
The better the soil, the better your plants will grow. Healthy soil is especially important when growing in a limited area. When planting in pots or containers, choose a potting mix that is free draining and is suited to what you are planting. Tui All Purpose Potting Mix is specially formulated to give the best start to your indoor and outdoor plants in pots and containers.
Choose a container that is a suitable size for your plants. Ensure the container has enough capacity to
house the ‘roots’ of the crops you want to grow. Drainage is also essential.
Indoor plant options:
- Larger options: fiddle leaf fig, monstera, weeping fig, rubber tree, drasena maginata, mother in laws tongue, alocasia.
- Smaller options: string of pearls, maidenhair fern, ivy, Boston fern, goldfish plant.
- A useful system is to plant a ‘Feature’, ‘Filler’ and a ‘Spiller’ in larger pots. e.g. a fruit tree as the ‘Feature’, lavender as a ‘Filler’, and then a flowering plant which will ‘Spill’ over the edge of the container. Outdoor plant options: dwarf fruit trees, ficus tuffy, benjamina, shrubs, grasses, pansy, petunia, cyclamen and calendula.
- Soak plants in a bucket of Tui Organic Seaweed Plant Tonic and allow to drain. This will help prevent transplant shock.
- Partly fill your container with Tui All Purpose Potting Mix.
- Gently loosen the root ball of your plant and position the plant in the container. If planting multiple plants, space the plants accordingly in the container.
- Fill your container with Tui All Purpose Potting Mix up to 3cm from the top.
- Press soil gently around the base of the plant.
- Water plants well after planting.
Feed your plants and they will reward you. Plants use nutrients from the soil as they grow. A controlled release fertiliser within Tui All Purpose Potting Mix will keep feeding for up to six months.
Continuing to replenish nutrients will ensure your plants remain healthy. Use Tui Enrich Pots & Containers Controlled Release Fertiliser to promote optimum growth through its specialised triple action formula.
Well watered, well nourished plants will have a better chance of keeping insect pests and diseases at bay.
Mix in containers dries out quicker than soil in the garden. Apply Debco SaturAid granular soil wetter every season to enhance water absorption and retention.
Plants grown in containers require regular watering. It’s best to water deeply twice a week rather than a little each day to encourage deep roots. Water in the morning or evening to avoid water evaporation.