Next time you see an old pallet, take a second look. With a few plants and a quick spruce up, you’ll be left with a brand new garden!
What you need to do
- First, create pockets you can plant into. You do this by adding a base to each row of the pallet. For the bottom of the pallet measure and cut the ply to shape.
- Stand the pallet upright and nail the ply to the base of the pallet.
- Next, remove boards that aren’t needed and use them to make the base of each pocket.
- Cut the boards to the correct length for each row.
- Nail the boards to the bottom of each row creating pockets.
- Once you have created the pockets, line each row with weed mat to keep the soil and moisture locked in.
- Find somewhere in your garden easy for you to get to, close to the kitchen is perfect. Then screw it in using eye hooks and chains.
- Fill each row with Tui Outdoor Container Mix to give your plants a nutrient boost and help stop your soil drying out.
- It’s a good plan to choose plants that grow fast and have shallow roots. Mix your chosen herbs or salad greens with a few flowers for a bit of colour. We planted: lobelia, thyme, chives, marigolds and parsley.
- Soak seedlings in a bucket of Seaweed Plant Tonic ensuring the container is fully submerged.
- Then it’s planting time! Dig small holes with your fingers and position each plant in a hole. Press soil gently around each plant.
- That’s it! Water plants well, and continue to water every second day to keep it nice and moist. In four to six weeks you will have tasty homegrown delights to enjoy!