Establishing a lawn is like buil
A lush, green lawn really sets off a house and is the pride and joy of any keen gardener. A successful lawn can take some effort, but provides very rewarding results making you the envy of the neighbourhood. Tui have all the tips, advice and products that you will need to create a beautiful lawn from beginning to end.
Knowledge and quality products are the key to ensuring a beautiful, healthy lawn that leaves you with minimal maintenance later down the track.
- If you are starting a new lawn from scratch the soil needs to be in the best possible condition to give lawn seed the best chance of germination. The area should be weed free. Spray the area with glyphosate to kill existing grass weeds and moss. After about a fortnight, remove all dead weeds.
- The next task is to create a level and compact area for your lawn by raking, rolling, removing and filling in where needed. Nobody wants a lumpy lawn and it can be difficult to rectify once the lawn is established. Dig over the area, rake it to level, and add SaturAid to assist with water distribution.
- Provide lawn seed with a base of essential nutrients and fertiliser. After digging over, apply a 50mm layer of Tui Lawn Preparation Mix. Rake to level then walk over soil to find soft spots that require filling.
Sowing Lawn Seed
- Sow seed on a fine day at the rate set out on the packaging.
- Scatter seed in an east to west direction then a north to south direction to ensure an even spread of the seed.
- Rake in and lightly roll, making sure that the seed is in contact with the soil.
Choose a fast growing seed such as Tui Superstrike Lawn Seed to start seeing seedlings after 7 days. Tui Superstrike Lawn Seed is protected from insects, fungal diseases and birds and is of the highest quality lawn seeds available to the home gardener. Choose a lawn seed variety that suits your lifestyle and environment, the Tui Superstrike range includes: Easycare, Hardwearing, Superfine, Shady Places or Hot & Dry.
- Water lightly and keep moist on a daily basis during the germination period. Try to avoid making puddles with the water as this can move the lawn seed around.
- Your lush new lawn will need to be cared for throughout the year. A thick, healthy lawn stops broadleaf and other weeds from becoming established.
- After 3 or 4 mowings, a light application of Tui Lawn Fertiliser will encourage lush, thick, green growth in your lawn. Once established, ideal times to fertilise your lawn are in spring, early summer and autumn. Tui Lawn Fertiliser contains and iron and moss control to give your lawn a deep green colour and even lush growth.
- Watering and fertilising will help to prevent weeds and diseases.
- Use a selective herbicide (a weed killer that will kill weeds, not your lawn) to control broadleaf weeds and Onehunga prickles.
Mowing your Lawn
- Don’t be tempted to mow your new lawn straight away – wait until it has grown to 5cm so the root system has had time to develop.
- Use sharp blades and set your mower to the highest level, gradually lowering the level over the next 3 months until you reach the optimum height of 2.5cm-3cm.