There is nothing quite like wand
There is nothing quite like wandering barefoot across your backyard savouring the feeling of grass between your toes. A lush, green lawn really sets off a house and is the pride and joy of any keen gardener. A successful lawn can take some effort, but provides very rewarding results making you the envy of the neighbourhood. Knowledge and quality products are key to lawn care, to ensure a beautiful, healthy lawn that leaves you with minimal maintenance later down the track.
1. Autumn and spring are the best times to sow a lawn and to carry out lawn care.
2. To ensure you have a successful lawn the soil needs to be in the best possible condition to give lawn seed the best chance of germination. When starting a new lawn from scratch, spray the area to kill any existing grass and weeds. When patching your lawn, spray weeds and any grass you want to remove. Clear away weeds and grass once it has browned off.
3. Apply a 25-30mm layer of Tui Lawn Preparation Mix to the area to provide lawn seed with a base of essential nutrients and fertiliser.
4. Create a level and compact area for your lawn by raking, rolling and filling in where needed.
5. Water before sowing lawn seed.
6. Choose a fast growing seed such as Tui Superstrike Lawn Seed to start seeing seedlings in as little as seven days. Tui has an exciting new lawn seed, Tui Superstrike Stadium Blend Lawn Seed. Establish a stadium quality lawn in your backyard in as little as seven days. With a blend of seeds varieties used in stadiums around New Zealand and the inclusion of winter-active seed varieties it creates a superior lawn year round.
7. Sow seed on a fine day at the rate set out on the packaging. Scatter seed in an east to west direction then a north to south direction to ensure an even spread.
8. Rake in lightly to ensure seed is covered.
9. Water lightly and keep moist on a daily basis during the germination period. Don’t be tempted to mow your new lawn straight away – wait until it has grown to at least 5cm so the root system has had time to develop.
10. Your lush new lawn will need to be cared for throughout the year. A thick, healthy lawn stops broadleaf and other weeds from becoming established.
11. After you have mown it three or four times, apply Scotts Lawn Builder New Lawns & Repairs or Tui Lawn Fertiliser to encourage lush, thick, green growth in your lawn. Once established, fertilise your lawn in spring, early summer and autumn.
12. Keep your lawn well watered. Well watered, well nourished lawns will have a better chance of keeping weeds, pest insects and diseases at bay.
13. Apply Seasol for Lawns to feed and revitalise your lawn and enhance root development. A liquid fertiliser and health treatment all in one, Seasol for Lawns feeds and revitalises your lawn while it conditions the soil.
14. The weather, weeds, pest insects and diseases can all impact on the success of your lawn. An application of Tui Prickle Weed Eliminator in spring means a prickle free lawn in summer.
- Add SaturAid to assist with water distribution before sowing lawn seed.
- When mowing your new lawn use sharp blades and set your mower to the highest level, gradually lowering the level over the next 3 months until you reach the optimum height of 2.5cm-3cm.
- Try to avoid making puddles with the water as this can move the lawn seed around.