Whether your vege patch is burst
10 people recommend this
Got limited space? Creating a potato tower could be the perfect garden hack for you. They’re super simple to build and produce lots of tasty potatoes!
- Tui Certified Seed Potatoes
- 2m wire mesh
- 2 stakes
- Tui Vegetable Mix
- Tui Pea Straw Mulch
- Seaweed Plant Tonic
- Garden staples
What you need to do
- Form a circular shape with the wire mesh to create the tower. Make it approximately 50cm diameter, although you could make it bigger to plant more potatoes.
- Hammer a stake in at each side of the tower to anchor it to the ground.
- Add a little water to the bag of Tui Pea Straw Mulch to dampen it, making it easy to handle.
- Line the tower with Tui Pea Straw Mulch on the base and approximately 20cm high around the edges.
- Fill the lined tower up with Tui Vegetable Mix to the top of the straw.
- Add another 10–20cm lining of Tui Pea Straw Mulch around the edge of the tower. The tower will now be lined approximately 30–40cm high.
- Fill up with Tui Vegetable Mix, level to the top of the straw lining.
- Now you’re ready to plant. Place approximately 5–6 sprouted Tui Certified Seed Potatoes in the tower with the sprouts facing upwards.
- Cover seed potatoes with a light layer of Tui Vegetable Mix and gently pat down.
- Add two capfuls of Seaweed Plant Tonic to a full watering can and water your planted potatoes.
- As your potatoes grow keep mounding with Tui Vegetable Mix and lining the tower with more Tui Pea Straw Mulch.
- Keep watering and feeding until they are ready to harvest when the tops die back.