How we plan to do better
We have made some great progress on our sustainability journey and we are committed to keep improving, while still delivering top quality gardening products to help Kiwis create fantastic gardens. Discover the three pillars we work on for sustainability below.
Read about our latest initiatives, related articles and tips.
We are committed to reducing and offsetting our carbon footprint.
This covers our direct emissions from sites and vehicles.
This covers our indirect emissions from energy production and our use of it.
We have offset our scope 1 and scope 2 emissions through an accredited supplier to become carbon neutral.
We are continuing work to reduce our emissions and in August the forklifts located at our Mount Maunganui site will be moving from fossil fuel to electric.
We’re now commencing Scope 3 initiatives – this means offsetting emissions created by our suppliers.
Our first project in this space was reducing and offsetting our Tui growing media packaging carbon footprint.
KINDER TO NATURE
WE ARE AIMING FOR 100% RECYCLABLE, REUSABLE OR COMPOSTABLE PACKAGING BY 2025
To support recycling of our packaging, we are a paid member of the Soft Plastics Recycling Scheme so our growing media, fertiliser, compost, lawn seed and bird seed bag (5kgs and under) are eligible. Find drop off points for clean, dry bags here.
The Soft Plastics Recycling Scheme covers approximately 80% of New Zealanders with drop off points for soft plastic packaging. The packaging is then recycled into BioGro certified organic fence posts at Future Post in Waiuku, or into ducting and other products at Second Life Plastics in Levin.
To make it easier to identify packaging that contains recycled materials and packaging that can be recycled through the Soft Plastics Recycling Scheme, we’re making updates to include this information on the front of pack.
We've extended our refill trial for Tui Organic Seaweed and Tui Seaweed & Fish fertiliser at selected Mitre 10 and Palmers stores.
Following a successful trial at Mitre 10 Papamoa, we've rolled our trial out to 13 more stores. Discover the locations here and if there's one near you, bring along your empty seaweed bottle to refill! If this extended trial is successful we will roll out to further stores.
WORKING TOWARDS 100% RECYCLED CONTENT IN PLASTIC PACKAGING
- We are continuing trials with our growing media and compost packaging to include a higher percentage of recycled content.
- We continue to aim for 100% recyclable, reusable or compostable packaging by 2025.
- Tui Potato Food, Tui Strawberry Food, Tui Tomato Food 1.5kg bags are moving to 30% recycled plastic.
- The four Tui LawnForce slow release 2.5kg fertilisers (All Purpose, New Lawns, Max Green and Weedkill) are in the process of moving to 30% recycled plastic packaging.
- Tui LawnForce All Purpose slow release fertiliser 6kg is also moving to 30% recycled plastic.
- We have reduced our use of virgin plastic in a number of our products' packaging.
- 96% of our growing media/compost bags now made with 50% recycled plastic.
- NEW Tui Performance Organics 2.5kg Fertilisers - All Purpose, Tomato & Vegetable, and Citrus & Fruit contain 30% recycled plastic.
- Our Tui Enrich Controlled Release fertiliser 500g and 1kg pottles have moved to 100% recycled plastic.
- Tui Indoor Plant Insect Spray bottles are now made from 100% recycled plastic.
- Tui Bird Seed 10kg and 20kg variants have changed from woven plastic to paper packaging.
- Tui Certified Organic General Fertiliser 5kg and Tui Certified Organic Mini Sheep Pellets 1.5kg packaging both now contain 40% recycled plastic.
- Tui Performance Naturals liquid fertiliser bottles are now being made using 100% recycled plastic. See below animation showing how plastic bottles from curbside are being recycled for use in our bottles.
OUR TUI GROWING MEDIA AND COMPOST BAGS ARE CARBON NEUTRAL
From 1 September 2021 our growing media and compost packaging are carbon neutral.
This includes all our bags that are made from 50% recycled plastic and covers 96% of our Tui growing media/compost products so far, with the remaining 4% to be updated as current packaging runs out.
How we've achieved this:
- We have reduced the carbon footprint by moving manufacture from overseas to New Zealand.
- Removing the laminate layer,
- And including 50% recycled content in the packaging.
The remaining footprint has been offset through accredited projects: Bank Peninsula Forever Forest, a conservation project in Southland and an international conservation project.
We are proud to provide ongoing support to Garden to Table to empower Kiwi kids to grow and learn in the garden.
WE ARE PROUD TO PARTNER WITH GARDEN TO TABLE
- Garden to Table work with thousands of primary school children nationwide helping them discover the goodness of fresh seasonal food along with the skills they need to prepare it.
- Tui have been working alongside Garden to Table for seven plus years and we are proud to have now become a partner.
- By donating a total of $90,000 we can continue helping Kiwi children learn to grow and prepare nourishing meals.
HOW WE SUPPORT
GARDEN TO TABLE
Donating $30,000 a year for the last three years to Garden to Table along with starter packs to schools
Supporting The Great New Zealand Seedling Sale
Creating learning resources
Donating garden prizes to the Young Gardener of the Year
Carrying out community days helping schools build new garden beds
SUPPORT FOR GARDENING AND SCHOOL EVENTS
Each week we receive a number of requests for sponsorship or support for different events around the country. We love encouraging people in the garden, and support as many of these as we can. Our support includes ongoing involvement with several community groups, and ad hoc support of others where we are able to help. Discover more here >
If you are looking for support, please fill out the contact form here for our team to consider.