Use Tui Pea Straw Mulch to mulch
12 people recommend this
Short on space? Tomatoes don’t care if they’re growing up or down, they taste delicious either way. If you have a small growing space, try this!
- Cherry tomato plant
- 10L bucket
- Hole saw or craft knife
- Tui Pea Straw Mulch
- Tui Tomato Mix
- Seaweed Plant Tonic
- Garden staples
- Sturdy hook
What you need to do
- Cut a 5cm diameter hole in the bottom of the bucket using a hole saw or craft knife (watch your fingers!).
- Line the base with Tui Pea Straw Mulch. This will keep the mix in the bucket.
- Next fill the bucket with Tui Tomato Mix, filling to about 10-15cm from the top of the bucket.
- Put the lid on the bucket. It’s a good idea to also cut a hole in the lid too, for easier watering. Lie the bucket on its side.
- Place two capfuls of Seaweed Plant Tonic into another bucket of water and soak the tomato seedling in the bucket before planting.
- Gently push the tomato seedling through the hole in the bottom of the bucket, up to the first set of true leaves.
- Slowly turn the bucket over and lift it up by the handle. Choose a sunny position in your garden and hang from a super sturdy hook as the bucket will be heavier once watered.
- Water through the hole in the top of the bucket or remove the lid.
- All done! Now you have an upside down tomato plant. Make sure you water and feed your tomato plant regularly because tomatoes get very thirsty and hungry.