Use Tui Pea Straw Mulch to mulch
9 people recommend this
Short on space? Tomatoes don’t care if they’re growing up or down, they taste delicious either way. If you have a small growing space, try this!
- Cherry tomato plant
- 10L bucket
- Hole saw or craft knife
- Tui Pea Straw Mulch
- Tui Tomato Mix
- Seaweed Plant Tonic
- Garden staples
- Sturdy hook
What you need to do
- Cut a 5cm diameter hole in the bottom of the bucket using a hole saw or craft knife (watch your fingers!).
- Line the base with Tui Pea Straw Mulch. This will keep the mix in the bucket.
- Next fill the bucket with Tui Tomato Mix, filling to about 10-15cm from the top of the bucket.
- Put the lid on the bucket. It’s a good idea to also cut a hole in the lid too, for easier watering. Lie the bucket on its side.
- Place two capfuls of Seaweed Plant Tonic into another bucket of water and soak the tomato seedling in the bucket before planting.
- Gently push the tomato seedling through the hole in the bottom of the bucket, up to the first set of true leaves.
- Slowly turn the bucket over and lift it up by the handle. Choose a sunny position in your garden and hang from a super sturdy hook as the bucket will be heavier once watered.
- Water through the hole in the top of the bucket or remove the lid.
- All done! Now you have an upside down tomato plant. Make sure you water and feed your tomato plant regularly because tomatoes get very thirsty and hungry.